5.22.2011

A Georgraphy Lesson

Although we know exactly where Okinawa is located in relation to mainland Japan most people do not. When the March earthquake hit, our families were panicked and we were going about our daily life like nothing had ever happened. The reason for that was because we are a considerable distance away from the mainland, about 450 miles away from the most southern tip and about 950 miles away from Tokyo. Here is a map that gives you a better idea:

The Okinawa Prefecture is one of Japan's southern most prefectures and it is made up of hundreds of islands called the Ryukyu chain. The Ryukyu chain starts at the southern tip of mainland and extends all the way to Taiwan. Okinawa is the largest of the islands and it directly between mainland and Taiwan. 
Here is another map that shows Okinawa in relation to other countries, we are only about an hour away from Taiwan and China, I feel some weekend trips coming on!


Now on to our lovely island, I thought readers would enjoy a map of Okinawa to see where we live and where all the bases are located. 


Now let me give you the run down. Trevor works on Camp Hansen and we live right near Camp Foster in Chatan-Cho (I'll put a better map up of Chatan). We used to live in between Camp Courtney and White Beach Naval Facility but living out in the boonies was no fun. 

This shows how much of the island is occupied by bases, quite a lot actually. Not the best quality, sorry!
I hope this helps everyone's understanding of where Okinawa is located and what our little island is like! I hope everyone has a great week and hopefully I will have more posts to come in the next few days! P.S I am taking requests for posts so if there is anything you would like to read about bring on the suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. Kendall!! (This is Steph)..I don;t know how I just saw this, but it's so awesome!! You are such a pro-blogger! I miss you and I hope I get to see you next time you're in Austin! I'm so excited you're going to Thailand! That's literally my favorite country ever! You have to eat yellow curry when you're there. I found a place here that makes it and i get it like 5 times a week. haha love you and hopefully i'll talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete